Friday, 19 July 2013

Puttin' On The Face


(Bow, Gable, Harlow, Wood)

Hello, my pals and gals!

Welcome to a whole new Best of the Past!
One year is a long time, and I started thinking how one simple post which didn't even go up on this blog's real birthday was simply not enough a celebration. I never thought I'd have a blog for an entire year, with people actually reading, commenting and participating. For a frisky and impatient girl who leaves plenty unfinished, this is a huge victory. 

Best of the Past got a makeover for its first birthday. I designed it myself. Isn't it pretty?

With the overall look, I wanted to channel an old-time movie premiere, hence the quotation marks on every title and the lights on the font. You can see a drastic change right on the top. The links on the top bar changed, as I have noticed a few recurring categories in my writing. Now, you can access my "About" page, like it used to be, my favorite actors, directors and actresses on the same page, the "Best" page, and next to it I give direct access to my poetry and my movie reviews. One observation: The "Best" page only has actresses for now, because when I was saving the final product, blogspot said an unknown error was occurring. What it was? Beats me. I also plan on rewriting my About Me page, but give this poor blogger some time: It's 3 a.m.

On the sidebar, you can also see some changes. I changed my introduction a bit, first correcting the age (it was still on 18, while I'm almost 19 and a half now), and adding a few things to my personal info. It's interesting. I hope. 

Lucy: A success story
Below it, there's the main change on Best of the Past. We now have a mascot! Our gal, Kay, is a fictional chorus girl from the 1930s, who never got the career in the movies she always wanted. It's a sad story, but unfortunately one lived by many girls in the 1930s and 1940s. You see, glamour, fame and fortune were but a small part of the Hollywood reality. The vast majority of youngsters who went to try their luck in the city of angels failed miserably. But they got jobs, as chorus girls, extras, understudies. We can see their faces in movies we watch, on the background, and it's almost readable in their eyes how hopeful they are to be someone, to be known from Eve in that town, to live their dreams. I got the idea of paying tribute to the chorus girls when I read the story of Lucille Ball, who was once only one of those eyes on the background and today is the biggest TV legend ever. She was a success story, but so many others weren't. And guess what? Without those ladies who endured cold winters and boiling summers under the dictatorship of Louis B. Mayer, Harry Cohn, Irving Thalberg, Jack Warner and their kind for absolutely nothing, the movies would not be what they were. It's one thing to be driven to tears at 15 years of age by L. B. Mayer and go on to win two Oscars, like Elizabeth Taylor, but it's a whole other thing to suffer the same cruelty and go on to not have anything. Some of them were very talented, too, but the studio execs couldn't see it if it was written across their foreheads. They didn't want to. So many gave up, went into depression, madness, killed themselves. It's the loss of a dream. And so, I will soon write Kay's own post, Kay's story, to do my part to keep those girls from being forgotten. 

Her name is a tribute to Kay from "Stage Door"(1937), who killed herself, tired of struggling against the theatre. I'll try and include Kay somehow in some of my posts. We'll see how, but what I do know is that you can count on her presence. I'm not about to pull a Harry Cohn and abandon my own chorus girl, no sir.


Scroll below Kay a little further and you'll see the difference in the titles. I spent all night making them, and I hope you'll like them. Now, stop when you've hit "The Brown Derby: Social". That's my social networking information for y'all. My Tumblr, my Twitter and (drumroll please) our brand new Facebook page! So why don't you go ahead and like us over there. I'll wait. Did it? Awesome!

And for now, that's about it, my pals and gals. I hope I stick to this layout for a while now, because it sure was a lot of work to make. I hope you guys like it and I'll let you know when I rewrite the About Me!

Bye bye!


P.S. Yes, brand new signature with Kay's pretty face on it. I just love my chorus girl, okay?


5 comments:

  1. I love it, love it! I think it perfectly captures your passion for old hollywood; it has personality and it's fun! Great work, and congrats on keep it up for a whole year. I hope you continue sharing your lovely findings and interests with equal or more charisma than you already do --- kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely new look! It looks like a mid-century nightclub :)
    Nice things are coming! The story of Kay reminds me a little of a novel I'm currently researching for to start writing.
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you girls so much! I'd be interested in that novel, Lê! Can you tell me more about it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 1st Blogaversary! Here's to many more years of your wonderful blog. :)

    ReplyDelete