Tuesday, 11 September 2012

A Letter To The Stars: Blogathon


Hello, my pals and gals!
Most exciting news I've ever had the pleasure to announce! 
I'm hosting my first blogathon!

Five minutes of sheer excitement later, I must let everyone know that I will not be hosting this alone. I have the best co-hosts anyone could wish for and those are Natalie, from In The Mood and Rianna from Frankly, My Dear! Now, we all know and love these swell gals, and there's no need for me to reassure you yet again that anything these two touch is worth keeping an eye out for. 
Having said that, here are the rules of the game!

This blogathon is very simple. It came from the idea that we in the classic movie community suffer of a problem not many have to encounter: Our favorite stars are dead. There's no use denying it or alienating yourself from the sad reality that most of the people who were a part of or influenced the Golden Era are long deceased. Therefore, we all want to say some things to them and can't, like how much we adore them, how much they've influenced us, how important they still are to the world and how they will never be forgotten. 

However, just because they can't hear us, doesn't mean we can't still say it, does it? 

So, this blogathon will consist of just that. Write a letter to your favorite dead star. What did you always want to tell them? How did they change your life? What's your favorite thing about them? How did they impact the world and what legacies did they leave? Write about anything you like, as long as it's addressed to your favorite dead star. Pretend they can hear you: It's your chance! 

Now, in order to participate in this, the procedure is very simple: Comment below to enter yourself! Just say I'm SO AND SO, my blog is SO AND SO and I will be writing a letter to SO AND SO. You will be automatically entered. 

You have a month and a half to open up your heart to your favorite dead star. By the time you're done writing, publish it in your blog and send the link to alettertothestars@hotmail.com. Be sure to add your blog name and the star you're writing to on the subject line, as to make our lives easier :) On the days mentioned above in October, we will be posting everyone's articles. As the dates approach, we will reveal who will host each day. 

Pretty exciting to me!

Now, last things last, if you'll be so kind as to choose one of our AWESOME banners and put it on your sidebar, to let everyone know that you are swell enough to participate in our blogathon, we'd thank you a million. Here we go: 





And, if you like a lil' Technicolor, my favorite:



Sounds like a plan? Let's all join in and make this Blogathon a beautiful tribute to the stars that can't be forgotten. Let's show the world how much we cherish their memory, how important they still are and will always be. Do it as if they were watching. 

'Cause, I don't know, maybe they are. 

So long,
Marcela


P.S. 250 films - To Have and Have Not (1944), Morning Glory (1933) and Cinderella (1914)

24 comments:

  1. I'm totally IN! I'm planning to write in English a letter to Gene Kelly for my Tumblr, because it's more personal. If I decide to write another for my blog, I'll let you know.
    My Tumblr is: http://vintageclassicscrapbook.tumblr.com/
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for entering! We look forward to hearing from you! :)

      Delete
    2. I had the idea for another letter, this time in my blog and in Portuguese: to my dear underrated Giulietta Masina. How about? :)

      Delete
    3. You can write to whoever you want dearest! :) But can I ask that this letter be in English? You don't have to post it on your Portuguese blog if you don't want to, but it's just that so many people on this blogathon don't understand Portuguese :(

      Delete
    4. Super late reply! :D
      There is a translator in my blog and it has worked fine in previous blogathons. Anyway, I'll do a test and maybe I can post it in English if the translation becomes failed.

      Delete
  2. Marcela, I am totally in. I know it will come as a shock to many that I have decided to write to Katharine Hepburn. This blogathon is such a goo didea. It reminds me of Miss Hepburn's posthumous letter to Spencer Tracy :(
    Only these will be happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Maggie! (too late to get rid of the nickname ahaha) Consider yourself entered! I'm sure this won't be a shock, but we will be writing to the same person :)

      Delete
  3. OOOOHHH!!! This is awesome! I'm in! I have a few ideas of who to write to but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Greer Garson :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, well, I'm in! And I'll be writing to my beloved Bill :) I'm sure you know where to find me if anything should happen :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dearest! This is gonna be the best thing ever!

      Delete
  5. I'd love to do this! I'm thinking of writing to Ms. Natalie Wood! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually scratch that (I'm fickle I know), considering I don't see anyone doing her I'd like to change mine to Veronica Lake. Please and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! You can write to both, if you want to! Thank you for joining in!

      Delete
    2. Oooh that's a good idea. I'll definitely commit to writing to Lake but if I get a chance (which I probably will) I'll add one for Wood! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Hi Marcela,
    I heard about the blogathon a few days ago but I was holding off on joining until I figured out which star I was going to write to. First, I thought one of my favourite, but obsure Precode goddesses (Toby Wing, Lilyan Tashman) but then I thought of the one woman who would have needed a supported letter during the early talkies, Clara Bow. So count me in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG CLARA BOW! This is gonna be so emotional I can hardly wait! Thanks so much, Emma!

      Delete
  8. Hi again! I talked about the blogathon on my blog and a friend asked if she could also sing a song in honor of a star. I think she can do both - the letter and the song. But since you're the boss, I had to ask you: how about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can definitely do that! Please let her know that would be wonderful! Thanks for all the help, dearest!

      Delete
  9. Noir and Chick Flicks, will participate. I will write a letter to Cyd Charisse. Thank you for the invite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My letter is posted up on:

    http://dawnschickflicks.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-fan-letter-to-cyd-charisse.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm up and running here:

    http://mythicalmonkey.blogspot.com/2012/10/dear-jane.html

    ReplyDelete