Monday, 20 August 2012

Katers gonna Kate

I was looking through my pictures the other day and I noticed I had a folder named "Katers gonna Kate". I started looking through it and I realized it was the documentation of her eccentricity, her uniqueness, everything that made her Kate.
I found myself delighted looking at the photos all over again and I wanted to share them with you.
Here is the reason why the word 'cool' can be so accurately used to describe Katharine Houghton Hepburn:

A mini-suffragette: Flyers she helped hand out at age 5


Hiding in the bathtub


Monkey love in 1932

Disguising as a man for Sylvia Scarlett


Styling her hair with the rollers she made herself


After almost losing an Oscar at the hurricane of 1938


Coffee with the president


Spence love in 1942


Hiding in a bucket. How did she even get in there? Or worse, how did she get out?


Giving the boyfriend her tough love in 1949


"Farewell, Amanda, adios adios adieu..."


Out with the costume, in with the pants: Kate is back


This scene was especially hard for Katharine to make, since she was the one to find her brother's body after he hanged himself in his room. He was only fourteen, she was twelve. She toughened up and did the scene perfectly anyway. Bogie, as always, was great comfort.


With the Bogarts, on whom she accidentally urinated on the set of The African Queen, but who remained two of her very best friends


Sleeping on the set of The Millionairess on top of the lines she should be studying


Technicolor Christmas with the beloved 


I wonder how this picture was taken, but I know it looks awesome. 



Koala love in 1955

Caught in the rain


She got so sick during The African Queen that she lost 15 pounds. Notice how thin she looks.

Battling wits with Elizabeth Taylor


Niece love in 1967


On their last days together, she was a tower of strength


With her good friend Peter O'Toole. And the Oscars keep pouring in...


Parading around with no feet on the set of The Lion in Winter

Flooring Dick Cavett in his own show. "Cold sober, I find myself absolutely fascinating!"


Academy Award winning twosome


Sailing by herself at age 79


Receiving a kiss from The Voice in the emotional evening of A Tribute to Spencer Tracy


In A Tribute to Spencer Tracy nearly 20 years after his death. She would go on to outlive him by 36 years almost to the day. 

Age? Doesn't stop her from carrying her own tree branches!


Boating around in Fenwick very near her 80th birthday


This is magnificent: Performing a headstand at age 79.


Independence in all stages of her life


Looking quite beautiful, even at age 82.


Crying at the standing ovation she received on "A Tribute to Katharine Hepburn", on the Kennedy Center, in 1990.


Shuffling snow at age 85

With the self-explanatory sign in her Fenwick home

A triumph: Living 'til 96 years of age


These are some of the many reasons why the simple sight of this woman puts a smile on my face.
Rest in peace, Kate. 

So long,
Marcela

P.S. "Life can be wildly tragic at times, and I've had my share. But whatever happens to you, you have to keep a slightly comic attitude. In the final analysis, you have got not to forget to laugh."

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! My favorite is the one with the koala. and the color picture with Spencer just melted my heart.
    P.S.: I'll show these pictures to my grandmother and dare her to perform a headstand :)
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the color pic with Spence was one of the few pictures of their private moments together that remained :( Sometimes I feel so sad that they had to keep their relationship a secret, so now their loved one have nearly no memories to look back to :((
      Don't break grandma's back! haha!
      Lots of love!

      Delete
  2. She was soo classically beautiful but modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was waaaay ahead of her time, that's what I love about her!

    ReplyDelete